Before 1873, Post Offices were typically located in taverns or stores. Rochester’s first stand-alone Post Office was built by Dominicus Hanson on Hanson Street. He rented it to the Federal Government as a Post Office. Before then, Rochester never had a building that was solely dedicated to that purpose.
The Rochester District Court House, on North Main Street, is an impressive building to this day. Originally, the building served as a Post Office, built in the early 1900s. It was designed to have no unadorned wall surfaces. The architects used different colored bricks to create beautiful patterns on the walls.
This video was produced by Bob Griffin, president of the Rochester Historical Society and Museum. Click here to see more videos.