Eversource is encouraging customers to act now to save money and energy to help avoid a spike in seasonal electricity usage. Learn how you can beat the heat this summer with this advice from Eversource.
- Use the new Cooling Calculator on Eversource.com.
- Keep air conditioners set at or near 78 degrees. Every degree higher on the thermostat will use 1-3% less electricity.
- Don’t block airflow. Keep air vents clear of obstructions and consider using vent deflectors to direct and increase the reach of cooled air.
- Operate appliances during the cooler parts of the day, conserving energy by using appliances when there is less demand.
- Keep blinds closed to prevent unwanted heat through windows.
- Switch to ENERGY STAR® certified LED lights.
- Set ceiling fans to rotate counterclockwise and at a higher speed in the summer to circulate the breeze more effectively. Remember to turn the fan off when leaving the room.
- Be sure to choose the right size when purchasing an air conditioning unit. An oversized or undersized AC unit is less effective and uses more energy.
For more information on energy-saving programs, visit www.eversource.com.